The Plos One journal just published a new study by Dr. Gustavo Lopez and the Torremorell lab. The objectives of the project were to 1)assess the onset and duration of live attenuated influenza vaccine shedding in vaccinated pre-weaned pigs, 2)investigate the transmission of the live attenuated influenza vaccine from vaccinated to non-vaccinated pigs under field conditions and 3)evaluate whether the live attenuated influenza vaccine could be aerosolized and detected in the environment.Continue reading “Transmission of a live influenza A virus vaccine in commercial pre-weaned pigs”
Dr. Betlach and the team from the MycoLab recently published a study in the journal Vaccine, regarding the impact of multiple vaccines against Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. They assessed bacterial load and protection against infection in gilts.
- Vaccination against M. hyopneumoniae reduced bacterial load in infected gilts.
- Vaccination of both infected and contact gilts reduced M. hyopneumoniae transmission.
- Genetic diversity of M. hyopneumoniae was not influenced by vaccination.
Podcasts are a perfect way to get caught up with new swine information! We are presenting you the latest episode from “At The Meeting… Honoring Dr. Bob Morrison” in collaboration with SwineCast.
This episode focuses on vaccination strategies against PRRS. What is best? One or two doses?
Drs. Torremorell, Spronk, and Wetzel are talking with Dr. Scott Dee from Pipestone Veterinary Services and Dr. Reid Philips from Boehringer-Ingleheim.
This research summary is shared by Prof. Sanchez-Vizcaino and his team at the Compultense University of Madrid.
- A weakly virulent, non-hemadsorbing ASFV strain was isolated in 2017 from a hunted wild boar in Latvia (Strain ID: Lv17/WB/Rie1) with the potential of being used as a vaccine.
- Oral vaccination of wild boars with strain Lv17/WB/Rie1 protects animals against a virulent hemadsorbing (ASF genotype II).
- Contact animals exposed indirectly to the vaccinated animals were also protected against the ASF virulent strain
A new scientific article from the Torremorell lab, about the influence of maternal antibodies on influenza dynamics was published in PLoS ONE.
The study followed 10 cohorts of nursery piglets form a single influenza-positive sow farm and compared influenza dynamics based on the vaccination status of the dam.Continue reading “Effect of strain-specific maternally-derived antibodies on influenza A virus infection dynamics in nursery pigs”