Dr. Igor Paploski, postdoctoral associate from the VanderWaal lab ranked in the top 10 infographics at the University of Minnesota Research Day for his latest research on transmission of swine infectious diseases.Continue reading “Dr. Igor Paploski in the top 10 UMN Research Day infographics”
This is our Friday rubric: every week a new Science Page from the Bob Morrison’s Swine Health Monitoring Project. The previous editions of the science page are available on our website.
Today, we are sharing the work of Dr. Kaushi Kanankege, post-doctoral associate in the VanderWaal lab.
We conducted a survey to determine swine industry perspectives on a) perceived importance of risk-modifying factors contributing to between-farm transmission of PRRS and PED, and b) prevention/mitigation measures that should be prioritized on a farm that was forecasted to be at high risk of breaking.
Link to the survey: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3C9lQKVjyCrA9cp
**We need more survey answers! Please click the link and participate in this 8-question short survey.Continue reading “Risk-based management of PRRS and PED”
This week, the MSHMP team shares their summary of a publication on the intervention practices put in place in Japanese herds to control Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea.
- There was little to no research on factors affecting time to absence of clinical signs (TAC) and dead piglets/sow (DP/S) during PED infections.
- Good external biosecurity in the form of clean transport methods and one-way truck entrances is significantly associated with lower TAC and DP/S.
- The timing of feedback relative to the PED outbreak was more important than the method of feedback.
This week, we are sharing a report from the Kansas State University about monitoring PEDv in the environment.
- Environmental monitoring can highlight biosecurity gaps and be an educational tool
- Biosecurity involves exclusion and containment
- Staff involvement in monitoring results and solutions can be critical to staff behavior and motivation
Today, we are sharing the 2018/2019 summary for the Morrison Swine Health Monitoring Program from the MSHMP team lead, Dr. Cesar Corzo and what his vision for the future is.Continue reading “MSHMP Incidence Year 2018/2019 Annual Summary”